Road Accident Fund claims

Road Accident Fund claims

Suppose you or a family member has been injured in a severe motor vehicle accident caused by the negligence of one of the drivers. In that case, you may be entitled to compensation from the Road Accident Fund (RAF).

The Road Accident Fund claims is a publicly accessible fund established to provide monetary compensation to persons who have been injured in a traffic accident.

This implies that even if the driver of the car does not have insurance, those injured in the accident (or the loved ones of people who died in the accident) may be able to obtain compensation from the Road Accident Fund to help pay medical bills and replace wages lost as a result of the disaster.

What exactly is the RAF (Road Accident Fund)?

The Road Accident Fund Claims helps those who have been injured in car accidents or the families of people who have died in car accidents caused by careless driving.

The Road Accident Fund is funded by a fuel fee included in the price of gasoline and diesel.

Who is eligible to make a claim?

An individual who was hurt in the accident (except the driver who caused the accident).
Drivers, passengers, and pedestrians involved in the accident (excluding the driver who triggered the accident).
If you were the driver in an accident but not the owner of the automobile, and the accident was caused by the owner’s negligence (for example, if the brakes were not fixed). You were wounded, you may be eligible to receive compensation from the fund.
A kid, a spouse, or someone who was financially dependent on the individual who died in the accident.
A close relative of the deceased paid for the funeral.
A parent or legal guardian must accompany a claimant under the age of 18.
When are you unable to claim the Road Accident Fund

A person who caused the accident is not eligible to receive compensation from the fund. You can only file a claim if the negligence of another driver caused the collision.
If you were the only person and car involved in the accident, you will not be able to file a claim. Individuals who are the principal cause of an accident, such as someone who drives off a bridge due to negligence, are not compensated by the RAF.
What can you get reimbursed for?

Health-care costs.
Expenses for a funeral
Compensation for suffering and agony.
If you were unable to work, you would have lost money.
Support has dwindled. Dependents of the household’s main income source who died in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence may file a claim for loss of support.
How to File a Claim for Compensation from the Road Accident Fund

You can file a claim with the Fund yourself or hire a lawyer to do so on your behalf, but you will have to pay for their services.

If you know who caused the accident, you must file a claim within three years of the date of the accident. You have two years to file a claim if you don’t know who the driver or owner of the vehicle was who caused the accident.

To make a Road Accident Fund claims, fill out and sign the appropriate claim form (Form 1 is to be used in respect of claims before 1 August 2008 and RAF 1 from 1 August 2008 onwards).

To file a claim, you’ll need the following items.

To prove medical claims and expenses, keep receipts, records, and vouchers.
A medical report and a letter from your doctor detailing the amount you will be responsible for in the future for medical expenses incurred as a result of the accident.
A letter from your employer detailing how much money you lost due to missed wages.
A written letter authorizing the hospital to release your medical records to the Royal Air Force.
A sworn declaration as well as any comments from witnesses to the accident, are required.
Claiming the Road Accident Fund

You must report the accident to the RAF using a statutory accident report form (RAF 3), as well as any witness information the RAF may seek.

It’s critical to double-check that all of the paperwork is completed accurately. It’s a good idea to make copies of all your paperwork in case something goes wrong with the administration.

Once you’ve completed all of the required forms and papers, you must submit them in hard copy; the originals must accompany faxed materials. Documents sent through email will not be accepted.

If the claim was filed after July 31, 2008, and general damages were sought, the RAF required a Significant Injury Assessment Report (RAF 4) to confirm that the injury was severe.

The legal proceedings will begin once your claim has been processed, and the evidence will be considered and reviewed by the RAF.